RELATED NEWS:DO YOU KNOW THE STORY OF MARY?VALAMAR INVESTS 11 MILLION HRK IN MODERNIZATION OF LAUNDRY IN POREČ At the third round of collective bargaining between representatives of the Croatian Trade Union of Tourism and Services (STUH) and representatives of the Management Board of Valamar Riviera dd from Poreč held on April 4, 2017, STUH managed to increase the basic salary of all employees by as much as 3.5 percent.The salary increase starts on June 1 this year in the amount of 1 1/2 percent, while the remaining 2 percent starts on December 1 this year. In addition to this increase, the tariff annex to the Collective Agreement has been changed, whereby the surplus occupations (cooks, waiters, cleaners značajno) are significantly raised coefficients, so no one will be able to have a salary less than 4 thousand kuna net, ie it is a salary increase of 2 1 / 2 percent.Thus, this year in Valamar, the total wage bill will be increased by 6 percent in gross amount.At the collective negotiations between the representatives of the trade union and the company’s management, the employees of Plava laguna dd were provided with an increase in the basic salary, which will be applied as early as 1 May. As they point out in the Trade Union of Tourism and Services of Croatia (STUH), an increase in the basic salary by 3 percent has been negotiated, so now it will amount to HRK 3.820,00.The employer explained to the Trade Union the intention to harmonize the salaries and other material rights of the employees of Istraturist dd Umag with the contracted rights of the employees of Plava laguna dd Poreč, given that Istraturist dd Umag merges with Plava laguna. Alignment began in 2016 and is likely to end during 2018. Due to the large difference in workers’ rights, the union accepted the employer’s proposal that the application and payment of the increased basic salary start on May 1, 2017.The salary increase applies to all Blue Lagoon workers, and better material conditions are prepared for the seasonal workers (provision of three hot meals, increase in capacity as well as accommodation standards).
Subscribe Get instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270.
Senator Rob Portman, chairman of U.S. Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations (PSI), has sent a letter to Secretary of Defense Ashton B. Carter requesting information regarding the Army Corps of Engineer’s efforts to dredge the Cleveland Harbor.PSI will examine allegations that the Corps deliberately reduced its budget for the Cleveland Harbor project in order to render itself unable to dispose of material in a manner required by law.“The Ohio Environmental Protection Agency determined that the dredged material is not safe for open lake placement and disposing of the dredged material by dumping it in Lake Erie could pose a threat to both the City of Cleveland’s water supply and Lake Erie’s ecosystem,” said Senator Portman. “The Cleveland Harbor project is vital to all of Ohio and these allegations are troubling. I want answers and will use every tool available to make sure our Great Lake is protected.”It has been reported that the Corps cut its own budget by roughly $3 million—to less than it actually needs to dispose of the dredged material safely, said Portman in the release.
Victims and defendants should automatically be given a transcript of the judge’s sentencing remarks, the victims’ commissioner has told the chief of HM Courts & Tribunals Service.Dame Vera Baird QC, who was appointed in June, revealed today that she told HMCTS chief executive Susan Acland-Hood last month that she was concerned that victims and defendants were being given inadequate information about sentences handed down by the courts and what they meant in practice.Publishing a note today of her ‘useful meeting’ with Acland-Hood, Baird said she was ‘keen to advocate victims and defendants in the Crown courts automatically being given a transcript of the judge’s sentencing remark’. Baird ‘acknowledged some of the practical difficulties to overcome but the clarity this might provide would assist everyone’.In his 2017 government-commissioned race review, Labour MP David Lammy recommended that all sentencing remarks in the Crown Court should be published in audio and/or written form, which would ‘build trust by making justice more transparent and comprehensible’. Sentencing remarks are published in written form only for cases regarded as being in the public interest.The Ministry of Justice, responding to the Lammy review, said it was looking at increasing the availability of written sentencing remarks to victims and offenders, for specific offences in the Crown court, ‘as providing written sentencing remarks in every case is costly’.Last month’s meeting was the first between Baird and Acland-Hood since Baird’s appointment.Special measures was discussed, with Baird expressing concern about the extent to which remote evidence centres were being offered to vulnerable and intimidated victims and the extent to which they were being used. ‘The VC found that in the north east, the uptake had been slow and felt that more needed to be done to promote the use of remote links. She felt that judges were just not being asked to approve requests for remote evidence in cases where it was appropriate,’ the meeting notes state.Baird will appear before the House of Commons justice select committee tomorrow morning to discuss her priorities.
AUCKLAND, New Zealand, CMC – New Zealand Cricket chief executive David White says the Black Caps tour of West Indies in July is now “most unlikely” especially with the country currently into day eight of a four-week lockdown, and the deadly coronavirus pandemic continuing to engulf the globe. Speaking to media here yesterday, White said series against Netherlands, Scotland and Ireland were also in doubt because of the COVID-19 virus which has already infected over a million people worldwide and caused in excess of 58 000 deaths.“Clearly, this situation is extremely disappointing for everyone involved in sport but, given the bigger picture, and the terrible toll COVID-19 is taking worldwide, we need to look after not only our own people but the greater community good,” the official explained.“Cricket in New Zealand has been fortunate in that we were very much at the end of our home summer programme when this crisis struck. “However, with the lockdown now in full force, we’re mindful of the difficulties facing our cricket community.“Our current focus is very much on ensuring the future sustainability of cricket in New Zealand.”The Black Caps are scheduled to take on West Indies in three One-Day Internationals and three Twenty20 Internationals from July 8-19. Antigua’s Vivian Richards Cricket Ground is carded to host the opening two ODIs with Dominica’s Windsor Park hosting the final ODI and opening T20.The final two T20s are set to be played at the Guyana National Stadium.All three nations have reported cases of COVID-19 while the governments of Antigua and Dominica have put in place curfews. For its part, New Zealand has reported 868 cases with a single death.White said though the future remained unclear while the virus wreaked havoc, New Zealand Cricket would have continue its planning.“Although the future is uncertain, we’re determined to be well-prepared for whatever opportunities arise.” South Africa are scheduled to follow New Zealand for a tour of the Caribbean, starting at the back end of July and into August where they play two Tests and five T20 Internationals.