Soft Power Off-Broadway’s Public Theater has announced a one-week extension to the upcoming New York premiere staging of Soft Power. Originally announced to run through November 3, the production will now conclude its limited off-Broadway engagement on November 10. The new musical is scheduled to begin previews on September 24 and officially open on October 15.Featuring a book and lyrics by David Henry Hwang (M. Butterfly) and music/additional lyrics by Jeanine Tesori (Fun Home), Soft Power is set following the 2016 election. It centers on a Chinese executive who is visiting America and falls in love with a good-hearted U.S. leader as the power balance between their two countries shifts.As previously announced, initial casting includes Alyse Alan Louis, Billy Bustamante, Kendyl Ito, Francis Jue, Austin Ku, Raymond J. Lee, Jaygee Macapugay, Daniel May, Paul HeeSang Miller, Geena Quintos, Conrad Ricamora, Trevor Salter, Kyra Smith, Emily Stillings, Emily Trumble and John Yi.Leigh Silverman will direct the production, which will feature choreography by Sam Pinkleton. Soft Power is being produced as a co-commission and co-production with Center Theatre Group. Related Shows Show Closed This production ended its run on Nov. 17, 2019 Jeanine Tesori & David Henry Hwang(Photos: Emilio Madrid-Kuser for Broadway.com) View Comments
Vermont Business Magazine,Vermont Business Magazine received an unprecedented three national awards for Editorial Excellence in 2016 from the Alliance of Area Business Publications at its annual Summer Conference in Dallas June 24. These are the highest awards available to VBM and regional business news publications in the US. Reporter Joyce Marcel won Gold in the “Best personality profile” category for her piece on Rutland Mayor Chris Louras. Louras championed bringing refugees to Rutland. He subsequently lost his re-election bid.VBM won a Silver award in the “Best coverage of local breaking news” category for Timothy McQuiston, editor; Chris Graff, columnist; and Mike Smith, columnist for the Jay Peak/EB-5 fraud case, which was revealed in April 2016. This collection of stories reported on the breaking news story, included an exclusive interview with former Jay Peak President Bill Stenger, and was put into historic and political perspective by Graff and Smith.VBM won a second Silver award in the “Best editorial” category for McQuiston’s piece on how an investment in housing will be an investment in the economy, by allowing more young workers to afford to live in the state. Vermont has one of the highest housing costs–to-income ratios in the US.“Vermont Business Magazine has once again distinguished itself among its national peers, some of whom are very large publications from major cities. Though we’re the smallest publication in the group, we’ve had out-sized success,” VBM Publisher John Boutin said.“Joyce’s profiles consistently reveal the person that exists beneath their success as a businessperson or politician. Our readers can’t wait for her next story,” Boutin said. “The EB-5 story is as black-an-eye as the state can get. We were able to bring a detailed news story, timeline, video, photos and commentary to our online and print readers within a very compressed timeframe.”“I couldn’t be prouder of VBM, Joyce, Chris, Mike and Tim,” Boutin said.Vermont Business Magazine has won several AABP awards over the years, including past Gold, Silver and Bronze awards for Marcel and McQuiston. This is the first time that VBM has won more than one award in a given year.The Alliance of Area Business Publishers (AABP) presented 111 Editorial Excellence awards to newspaper and magazine business periodicals on June 24, 2017, at the closing celebration of its three-day annual Summer Conference in Dallas, TX.According to an AABP release, with 483 entries from 43 publications in the US, Canada and Australia, the competitive field was both impressive and diverse.”Once again the winning entries show how these publications serve their readers by digging through documents, cultivating great sources, presenting useful data, and asking tough questions,” said Reuben Stern, who coordinated the judging by faculty members at the University of Missouri School of Journalism. “The work not only provides reliable news and information but also helps the business community understand how things happened and what it all means.”With wide-ranging coverage from stories about celebrity golfers to articles about trending industries — like e-cigarettes and marijuana — to more traditional data-driven businesses features and retail coverage, regional business publications continue to tap into the pulse of their communities. In print and online, their writers showcase a breadth of topics that redefine what business means today.“With the highest standards of excellence in journalism and design, these regional business publishers deliver consistent, compelling and relevant news to their readers,” said Alliance Executive Director C. James Dowden. “And the resurgence of local — in retail, in restaurants and in relationships — means regional business publishers play a stronger role in communities than ever before.”The annual AABP Editorial Excellence competition recognizes excellence in journalism, photography and design achieved by regional business publications. Twenty-four judges, faculty members from the University of Missouri School of Journalism, bring their expertise to the selection process.“The purpose of the Alliance competition,” according to Dowden, “is to encourage a high level of journalistic performance and service to communities by recognizing editorial excellence and outstanding visual presentation in regional business publications.” VBM vermontbiz.comEB-5 Press Conference April 14, 2016Progressive Rutland: Mayor Christopher LourasState files suit alleging investor fraud at Jay Peak, Inc EB-5 ProjectsGraff: EB-5 lured governors into boosterismSmith: An end to innocence in Vermont
Dec 4, 2012 (CIDRAP News) – Further testing on three more products from New England Compounding Center (NECC) has turned up extensive contamination in three more products, and federal officials are asking healthcare workers to be alert for more infections, though they stopped short of calling the situation an outbreak.In a Health Alert Network (HAN) update yesterday, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said some of the organisms found in unopened vials of NECC’s betamethasone, cardioplegia, and triamcinolone solutions can cause disease in humans.It said the agency has received reports of infections in patients who have received the products, but so far none have been lab-confirmed.Betamethasone and triamcinolone are steroids, and cardioplegia solution is used to stop the heart during cardiac surgery. The three products are already subject to a recall of all NECC products in the wake of fungal infections that have been linked to the company’s methylprednisolone acetate injections.In mid October the CDC warned clinicians about possible meningitis cases in patients who received triamcinolone and cardioplegia solution. On Nov 1 federal officials announced they had found Bacillus species in the company’s betamethasone and cardioplegia solution and were investigating reports of possible infections and awaiting the results of tests for fungal organisms.According to yesterday’s HAN alert, fungal testing also turned up Aspergillus tubingensis, A fumigatus, Cladosporium species, and Penicillium species. The contamination appeared in three lots of injectable betamethasone, three lots of triamcinolone, and one lot of cardioplegia solution.The CDC said that although some of Bacillus species are known human pathogens and A fumigatus can cause disease, the clinical implications of the other organisms are not known. It urged clinicians to consider the organisms in the work-up of patients with symptoms who were exposed to the drugs.Though some of the patients who were exposed to the three other products had evidence of meningeal inflammation, lab tests haven’t confirmed the findings and the data do not support evidence of an outbreak linked to the other three products.Yesterday the CDC said 541 fungal infections and 36 deaths have been linked to a multistate outbreak caused by contaminated methylprednisolone acetate injections from NECC.See also:Dec 3 CDC HAN updateCDC background on other products from NECCDec 3 CIDRAP News Scan “Steroid-linked fungal infections climb to 541”
Trafford Metropolitan Borough Council and Trafford Economic Alliance have hired CBRE as part of a consortium including development specialists EKOS and consultancies URBED and WSP to work on an masterplan for the area. The 20-year project will be funded by the North West Development Agency. Nick Mullins, investment director at CBRE, said: ‘Currently Trafford Park is best known as being Greater Manchester’s industrial capital. This project, however, will look at what we can do to keep industrial and distribution business in the area, while making best use of the area’s fantastic cultural and leisure assets.’
At the 103rd International Labour Conference, the International Labour Organization (ILO) has, with a staggering majority, adopted new provisions on the protection of abandoned seafarers and seafarers who have been injured in occupational accidents, the Danish Maritime Authority (DMA) said in a release.The new regulations are, inter alia, intended to ensure financial security when a seafarer is abandoned in a foreign port without any economic possibilities of paying the voyage home or is taken ill, for example as a consequence of an occupational accident.By now, 61 countries have ratified the Maritime Labour Convention (MLC) and, thus, the protection of seafarers is extended.Hereby, the ILO’s success creating an up-to-date instrument on seafarers’ rights is confirmed.The Special MLC Tripartite Committee drew up the new provisions in April this year. Thus, the special revision process introduced by the MLC was tested.Now, a period of two years and six months remains before the regulations will take effect. Then, countries that have ratified the MLC will be bound by the regulations unless 40 per cent of the ratifying countries reject the new provisions in writing.However, such a result is hardly likely given the support for the regulations by both the employer and employee side as well as by the relevant governments.Only one of the 470 delegates voting on this issue voted against it.Consequently, seafarers and their families can look forward to being better protected worldwide as regards, inter alia, outstanding wages in case of the ship owner’s liquidation, a paid voyage home and security for compensation in case of occupational accidents.This is to be ensured by means of insurance or similar schemes. Seafarers on board Danish ships have already to a great extent enjoyed this protection, but it is far from obvious in other countries.[mappress]DMA, June 16, 2014; Image: ILO
Niko Orpana has been appointed to director in charge of Hamina Unit’s operations, reporting to CEO Kari Savolainen.The Hamina operations will be integrated as part of Steveco’s other operations which may lead to changes in future operating models.
The Pembroke Dock-based company said the unit will lift vessels at its 4.6 ha site.Built by Italian company Boat Lift, the remote-controlled crane weighs 60 tons (54 tonnes) and measures 12 m in height. It has six lifting winches and can be immersed in water up to 5 m deep. It will be able to lift vessels with a 9 m beam and a 4.5 m draught.Stewart Graves, managing director at Mainstay Marine, commented: “The boat hoist will complement our recent upgrades to our slipways giving us the ability to provide customers with a much more flexible service for vessels up to 650 ton (590 tonnes).” The company’s other facilities include a wet basin, four slipways and a ro-ro jetty.Mainstay Marine said that the hoist will be used to launch the Welsh Fisheries Protection vessel Rhodri Morgan, as well as the 19 m-long catamaran Lady Megan, both of which are being built on site.The hoist could also be used in the EUR76 million (USD85.7 million) Swansea City development project at Pembroke port, which will support the marine renewable sector in Wales, according to Mainstay Marine.www.mainstaymarine.co.ukwww.boatlift.it
Author: Associated Press Published: August 15, 2017 12:14 AM EDT Officials can’t ID source of E. coli that struck siblings Do you see a typo or an error? Let us know. SHARE ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) Minnesota health officials say they are unable to identify the source of an E. coli strain that killed a 3-year-old Wright County girl and sickened her older brother.The state Health Department said Monday it has completed its investigation but was unable to identify a single source of E. coli.The parents of Kallan Maresh say the bacteria toxin attacked their daughter’s kidneys and neurological system and led to her death. Kallan and her 5-year-old brother, Kade, contracted the bacteria July 9, sending them into kidney failure.The Health Department says disease investigators considered all known potential sources of E. coli, including farm animals. But officials did not find a connection with a petting zoo the children visited, despite extensive testing of the animals.No additional cases have been reported.
CBS suspends Rose, PBS halts his show following allegations Published: November 20, 2017 6:00 PM EST Updated: November 20, 2017 6:46 PM EST Do you see a typo or an error? Let us know. Rose’s PBS show features his in-depth interviews with newsmakers. The 75-year-old journalist is one of three hosts of “CBS This Morning” and is also a contributor to “60 Minutes.”MORE: Roy Moore accuser says she was not paid to tell her story NEW YORK (AP) PBS says it is immediately halting distribution of Charlie Rose’s interview program and CBS News suspended him following The Washington Post’s report of eight women who accused the veteran newsman of multiple unwanted sexual advances and inappropriate behavior.The women, three of whom spoke on the record in the deeply-reported story, accused Rose of groping them, walking naked in front of them and relating an erotic dream.MORE: 2nd woman accuses Sen. Al Franken of improper conductRose told the Post that he was “deeply embarrassed” and apologized for his behavior. Author: Associated Press SHARE
WASHINGTON, United States (CMC) — The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) says starting Monday (February 24), it will be implementing the Inadmissibility on Public Charge Grounds final rule denying green cards to Caribbean and other immigrants who may need US government assistance.“In light of the US Supreme Court’s February 21, 2020 decision to stay the statewide injunction preventing implementation of the final rule issued by US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, USCIS will now apply the final rule to all applications and petitions postmarked (or submitted electronically) on or after February 24, 2020,” said USCIS in a statement on Friday.“The final rule, published on August 14, 2019 and originally scheduled to go into effect on October 15, 2019, prescribes how the Department of Homeland Security will determine whether an alien (immigrant) is inadmissible and ineligible to adjust status to that of a lawful permanent resident in the United States because the alien is likely at any time in the future to become a public charge pursuant to section 212(a)(4) of the Immigration and Nationality Act,” USCIS continued.It said the final rule also addresses USCIS’ authority to issue public charge bonds in the context of applications for adjustment of status.USCIS said the final rule includes a requirement that Caribbean and other immigrants seeking an extension of nonimmigrant stay or change of nonimmigrant status “demonstrate that they have not received public benefits over the designated threshold”.In response, Caribbean American Democratic Congresswoman Yvette D Clarke has expressed outrage over a United States Supreme Court ruling that allowed the Trump administration to deny green cards to Caribbean and other immigrants who may need government aid.“As a product of the hopes and dreams of an immigrant family, I am outraged by the Supreme Court’s decision to implement the public charge rule – a cruel policy Donald Trump has crafted to jeopardise the lives of our nation’s most vulnerable,” Clarke, the daughter of Jamaican immigrants, told the Caribbean Media Corporation.“Historically, the United States has served as a place of refuge for individuals around the world seeking to fulfill the American dream,” added the representative for the 9th Congressional District in Brooklyn, New York.“Immigrants are our neighbours, our friends, leaders in our communities and even our members of Congress.”“It is disturbing to witness a global leader toying with people’s lives, and we must not stop fighting until Donald Trump is removed from office,” continued Clarke, a very ardent critic of Trump’s immigration policies.