Following months of intense preparation, head coach and president of Cavalier SC, Rudolph Speid, said his players are ready to compete in this year’s staging of the Gothia Cup, a preseason youth tournament scheduled for July 15-21 in Gothenburg, Sweden.Speid told The Gleaner yesterday that the team will be leaving tomorrow for a three-day camp in Norway, moving over to the championships in Sweden.Speid said that they are taking the tournament very seriously because it is an opportunity for the young charges to showcase their talents in front of top European scouts.”It is what they dubbed the youth club World Cup and there are 24 team from all over the world taking part, and we are going there to see if we can give a good account of ourselves,” said Speid.”We are also going there to ensure that people realise that Jamaica has good-quality players and good organisation,” he said.”The players are elated about this because most of these players have never travelled before and they are going to be travelling to Europe, which is a dream come true for players looking to play in Europe,” Speid said.Cavalier were invited to compete in tournament after they defeated English Premier League side Tottenham Hotspur’s U-15 team in the finals of a preseason tournament in the Cayman Islands last year.Speid added that his players are looking forward to carrying over this feat into this tournament in Norway.”They are looking forward to it and to make their mark. They want to give a good performance for the club and country,” Speid noted.”I think if a couple of the players catch the eyes of the scouts, that will be good for us. But even if they don’t, then the experience of travelling abroad will do a world of good for their careers,” he stated.”This is the only team from this region participating in the Gothia Cup, and we are the first ever team in this region to do so. This is a major accomplishment for us,” Speid added.
Amidst the proliferation and high competition in the supermarket sector, one of Liberia’s oldest supermarkets, SAVEWAY MALL, has installed the first ever escalator in the country. The escalator has been installed and recently launched in the supermarket, located at ELWA Junction, in Paynesville to carry (transport) customers between the first and newly constructed second floor. An escalator is a type of vertical transportation in the form of a moving staircase – a conveyor transport device for carrying people between floors of a building. The device consists of a motor-driven chain of individually linked steps that move up or down on tracks, allowing the step treads to remain horizontal.The General Manager of the Saveway Mall, Ziad H. Esber told the Daily Observer in an exclusive interview over the weekend in Paynesville that the construction of the second floor, purchasing of the escalator and its installation as well as the goods is an investment of about US$1m.Ziad emphasized that a staff will be assigned throughout at the escalator, to educate and assist consumers of the escalator, to avoid accidents. “The usage of the escalator is just simple: when you put your feet or stand on a moving escalator, you stand still, don’t walk… when the escalator reaches you at the last stair of the floor, you walk off easily, ” Ziad said. He said on the first floor, the supermarket has food stuff, sanitation materials, cosmetics and kitchen utensils. “On the second floor are toys, home decorations, clothes, jewelry, cosmetics and kitchen utensils, “Ziad noted. “Also, we also have cigar lounge (place to smoke cigar), a mini bar, and a coffee shop (called Jeffrey’s Retro and Coffee). ” He added: “We have a secure and supervised playground for our costumers’ children… as time goes by, there will be fees charged for maintenance for the playground from costumers.” A staffer at the Saveway Mall, who asked not to be named, said though the sales growth has slowed and there is price war among the supermarkets, the Saveway Mall, is keeping its balance to meet the needs of its customers and strive to be the best amongst the rest. “The evidence is the escalator, the first ever in the country since 1847,”the staffer said. Another staffer said, “We have taken the supermarket to another level with the escalator and we are hopeful of more consumers and making them spend more when they are there.” The Daily Observer has gathered that 23 Liberians are under the employment of the Saveway Mall, five of whom are benefitting from the Saveway Scholarship Scheme. Meanwhile, the supermarket was established by a Lebanese business man, George Koussa in the ’80s, under the name, Paynesville Supermarket. The supermarket closed twice during the Liberian civil war, between 1989 and 2003. In 2009, Mr. George Koussa’ s son, Jamil Koussa took over, and renamed it, Saveway Supermarket. With the new development, it has now been renamed, “Saveway Mall.” Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
0Shares0000GLASGOW, Scotland, July 11- David Rudisha aims to lower the world-leading time to under 1:43 over two laps of the track when he returns to racing at the Sainsbury’s Glasgow Grand Prix, an IAAF Diamond League meeting, at Hampden Park on Saturday.The 25-year-old Kenyan admitted that he’s had a tough 12 months recovering from the knee injury that cut short his 2013 campaign but claimed that after a few weeks of hard training in Kenya he is close to the kind of shape that brought him world and Olympic titles and three world records between 2010 and 2012. Rudisha’s appearance in the penultimate event of the two-day Glasgow Diamond League on Saturday afternoon will be his first competitive outing since he won in New York a month ago.Having finished seventh in Eugene at the end of May, Rudisha clocked a season’s best of 1:44.63 in New York’s Icahn Stadium two weeks later while top of the 2014 list for the men’s 800m is 1:43.34 which his compatriot, Asbel Kiprop, ran in Paris last Saturday.“It has been tough year coming back from an injury and I am trying to do my best to get back to top form,” he said. “I had two races so far this year, both in America, and I think I’ll be improving on those here.“I’ve had a good few weeks in Kenya since the New York race and I think you are going to see a good improvement this weekend.”Asked whether it was more important to win or produce a fast time, Rudisha said: “Both would be good but I am mostly looking for a good improvement because I don’t think 1:44 is a time that I am happy to be running. I want to get the world leading time and to get close to 1:42.”The race will be Rudisha’s first on UK soil since the London 2012 Olympic Gmes final, when he became the first man to complete two laps quicker than 1:41.“If you see my previous races this year, even in Eugene, even though I was not in top shape, I didn’t want to change my running tactics. I want to maintain that because I know in time and with good training I will get there, so I am going to keep running from the front.“I haven’t been in top shape since the Olympics and I am still trying to work my way up, so the most important thing is just to build up. Right now, running 1:42 would be great for me, and then I will focus on next year and the 2015 World Championships.”Victory on Saturday will put Rudisha at the top of the Diamond League standings, but he is focused on adding a Commonwealth Games title to his gold medal collection when he returns to Hampden Park in a few weeks time.“The Commonwealth Games is big in Kenya,” explained Rudisha. “Personally, I have never been to the Commonwealths, so this will be my first time, and I want to add that medal to my tally. It’s really a great opportunity.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
It’s really steep, really narrow, with tight turns and few shoulders. Engines overheat on the way up; brakes overheat on the way down. Impatient motorists whip past creeping trucks over double-yellow lines with no room to spare. Lone Pine Canyon Road has become the de facto detour to Wrightwood during the closure of the 138 Freeway from just west of the 15 Freeway to the 2 Freeway. The official detour if traveling north is to stay on the 15 to the 395 and then go west on the 18 until it joins up with the 138. But Wrightwood residents still want easy access, especially for businesses. The roughly 9-mile-long Lone Pine Canyon Road provides that. County road officials have placed signs saying the road is closed to through traffic, and trucks heavier than 5 tons are prohibited. It’s not clear how much the increased traffic is simply local commuters or folks seeking a shortcut on their way to Palmdale and the rest of the Antelope Valley. The California Highway Patrol plans to use grant money to increase enforcement during rush hours, perhaps as early as this week. They will also place a radar trailer to encourage people to slow down, Officer Jeffrey Perez said. “We know it’s dangerous,” he said. “We don’t want to see any crashes. We don’t want to see any fatalities.” There are CHP officers assigned to provide security within the construction area, but they are not available to leave their assignments and go out on patrol. The barricades for the current closure are immediately west of the intersection of the 138 and Lone Pine Canyon Road, and traffic naturally turns left onto Lone Pine. Even though Caltrans can’t recommend a county road as a detour, “they’re effectively doing that,” said Ken Walter, a member of a community group working with Caltrans “If they (drivers) don’t have business here, we want them out.” Then there’s the “idiot factor,” Carroll warned. Without a passing lane, cars tailgate until they can pass, and that’s not always in a legal area. There are few or no turnouts, so if a truck is wheezing its way up the steep grade, cars either pass it in the other lane or squeeze past it if it pulls over to the right. Some people, mostly in larger SUVs, drive in the middle of the road as they go around curves, assuming, apparently, that the other cars are so small that they can make do with half of their side of the road. The community asked that the barricades be placed east of the intersection, near the 76 gas station just off the 15 to give trucks ample room to turn around and discourage nonresidents from going forward. Caltrans doesn’t have the authority to place restrictions outside the work area, Caltrans spokeswoman Rose Melgoza said. Lone Pine Canyon Road travels through heavy desert brush, and residents fear a carelessly tossed cigarette butt or overheated brakes or exhaust systems could trigger a devastating wildfire. With all the planning that went into the closure, some wonder why extra CHP patrols weren’t lined up beforehand. “It’s a public county road,” CHP Officer Melanie Weaver said. “There’s no easy way to do this.” Staff Writer Megan Blaney contributed to this report. firstname.lastname@example.org (909) 386-3889 Road hazard With the 138 Freeway closed between the 15 Freeway and Highway 2, drivers have been flooding Lone Pine Canyon Road, a steep, dangerous two-lane road. Some Wrightwood residents have asked that people who don’t live there take the Caltrans-sanctioned detour shown on Page 3.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Wrightwood residents are convinced someone’s going to get killed. “The Highway 138 closure turned into a recipe for disaster on Lone Pine Canyon Road,” said Chuck Carroll, a member of the Wrightwood Municipal Advisory Committee. The section of the 138 is closed so Caltrans can complete a $44 million project to widen the road, build truck-climbing lanes, and add medians and shoulders to the notoriously dangerous stretch of road. The closure began June 11 and is scheduled to run through Sept. 11. Caltrans can only recommend detours on other state roads, not on county roads, including Lone Pine Canyon Road.
They said Gonzaga, who weighed in at 252 pounds, would overpower the smaller champion, who is 44 years old. Instead, Couture decked Gonzaga early and, after bloodying and battering him nearly nonstop for two full rounds, beat the challenger down to the mat and into defeat in the main event of Saturday night’s UFC 74: Respect at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. With the crowd clearly in support of the champion, the 228
Sabei said authorities had tried to prevent the protest from turning violent. “Things got out of hand when elements that had infiltrated into the ranks of the demonstrators broke through security shields,” he said. “The one remaining option was an order to shoot, but I was not prepared to order the troops to shoot Lebanese citizens.” Sabei, like other Lebanese politicians and Grand Mufti Mohammed Rashid Kabbani, spiritual leader of Lebanon’s Sunni Muslims, suggested Islamic radicals had fanned the anger. Kabbani said outsiders among the protesters were trying to “distort the image of Islam.” The United States accused the Syrian government of backing the protests in Lebanon and Syria. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESanta Anita opens winter meet Saturday with loaded card Flames and smoke billowed from the 10-story building, which also houses the Austrian Embassy and the residence of Slovakia’s consul. Protesters waved green and black Islamic flags from broken windows and tossed papers and filing cabinets outside. Witnesses said one protester, apparently overcome by smoke, jumped from a window and was rushed to the hospital. Security officials said he died. Thirty people were injured, half of them members of the security forces, officials said, making it the most violent in a string of demonstrations across the Muslim world. All the injuries were from beatings and stones. Prime Minister Fuad Saniora said before meeting with top Islamic leaders that about 200 people were detained, and police said they included 76 Syrians, 35 Palestinians and 38 Lebanese. The first apparent victim of the political fallout from the violence was Interior Minister Hassan Sabei, who submitted his resignation. It was not immediately clear if the resignation was accepted. BEIRUT, Lebanon – Muslim rage over caricatures of the prophet Muhammad grew increasingly violent Sunday as thousands of rampaging protesters – undaunted by tear gas and water cannons – torched the Danish mission and ransacked a Christian neighborhood. At least one person reportedly died and about 200 were detained, officials said. Muslim clerics denounced the violence, with some wading into the mobs trying to stop them. Copenhagen ordered Danes to leave the country or stay indoors in the second day of attacks on its diplomatic outposts in the Middle East. In Beirut, a day after violent protests in neighboring Syria, the crowd broke through a cordon of troops and police that had encircled the embassy. Security forces fired tear gas and loosed their weapons into the air to stop the onslaught. The protesters, armed with stones and sticks, damaged police and fire vehicles and threw stones at a Maronite Catholic church in the wealthy Ashrafieh area – a Christian neighborhood where the Danish Embassy is located.
A Malawian man who gave up his 13-month-old son to be adopted by Madonna said Sunday he had not realized he was signing away custody “for good.” Yohane Banda, 32, signed adoption papers earlier this month, clearing the way for a Malawian judge to grant the pop singer and her husband a temporary order to take his son David. Banda said his understanding was that “when David grows up, he will return back home to his village.” He said the director of Child Welfare Services, Penston Kilembe, and the retired pastor who heads the orphanage where David spent most of his life never told him by “adoption” it meant David will cease to be his son. Banda said he was illiterate and so had no idea of the significance of the adoption. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECalifornia’s bungled $1 billion accounting system Madonna’s Malawian lawyer, Alan Chinula, insisted the singer followed all the procedures to adopt the child. The Human Rights Consultative Committee, which comprises 67 human rights groups, has challenged the adoption, saying laws concerning the residency of the new parents were flouted and that it may set a precedent for human trafficking. – Associated Press 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
The move comes after a week in which Aberdeen lost twice to Rangers in back-to-back Premiership fixtures with the Ibrox side under the temporary stewardship of Under-20s coach Graeme Murty.Following the second defeat, a 2-1 loss at Pittodrie, McInnes made clear his frustration at the links with Rangers, saying the speculation had “dragged on and on”. He had previously endorsed the comments of Aberdeen chairman Stewart Milne, who had said that the manager was happy in his current role and was “going nowhere”.The ongoing links with a Rangers move for McInnes increased after Rangers chairman Dave King told the club’s AGM that a shortlist of candidates included managers under contract elsewhere.McInnes, who previously managed St Johnstone and Bristol City, has seen his stock rise since succeeding Craig Brown at Pittodrie in 2014. He won the League Cup in 2014 and has led the Dons to the runners-up spot in the Premiership in the last three seasons. Aberdeen have refused a request from Rangers for permission to speak to Derek McInnes about their managerial vacancy.McInnes’ name has been linked with the job since Caixinha was sacked on October 26 and Rangers have now made a move to begin discussions.However, in a brief statement on their official website, Aberdeen said: “Aberdeen Football Club has announced this evening that Rangers have contacted the club asking for permission to speak to Derek McInnes and that permission has been refused.”Compensation would have to be agreed between the sides if McInnes was to return to the club he served as a player between 1995 and 2000. STV understands that the figure is in the region of £1.1m. His achievements in the north east drew the attention of Sunderland in the summer but, after Aberdeen allowed him to hold talk with the Wearside club, McInnes decided against a move, signing a new contract at Pittodrie shortly afterwards.
The Annual Kids Fishing Tournament sponsored by the Washington County Fish and Game Club will be this Saturday July 29th from 1:00pm – 4:30pm.The event will be held at Lake Salinda’s Back Shelter House for children ages 5 – 13 allowed. Registration begins at 1pm and fishing begins at 1:30pm. Prizes given for biggest catch, smallest catch, and most catches.Goodie bags to each participant. “It’s a beautiful place there,” said Salem Mayor Troy Merry. “It was a source of water for the City at one time, but we are working on a dam project for Lake John Hay where we’ll raise the water level. It will be like pouring Lake Salinda into Lake John Hay. I’d like to see it become a community park.”“For kids that have never been fishing before, I’d like to see them come out,” said Merry. “It’s a good opportunity for parents to bring their children out. We’ll be fishing from the banks.”Merry will be on hand grilling food for the event. Food and drinks will be provided. Thanks to the Salem Police Department, Salem Fire Department, and Park & Rec. Department for their sponsorship.For more information, call Mike or Paula Pennington at 812.883.6100
Clark County Inmate Roster Jail roster 04-02-2018