Fianoo returns to Ashgold

first_imgKudjoe Fianoo, the embittered Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Ashantigold FC, has returned to the club after abandoning it for almost a week, a source has hinted DAILY GUIDE SPORTS.The CEO rescinded his decision and returned to Obuasi over the weekend after persuasions and lengthy discussions with leading members of the club.Mr. Fianoo, noted for his expertise in football management, has thus started full-time work, and is even said to have started talking to some players in his quest to poach them for the miners in the season ahead.It would be recalled that Mr. Fianoo left Ashantigold FC and took refuge in Accra when a cross-section of fans accused him of misappropriation of funds, notably from the sale of players.His shocking decision received wide media coverage and it was discussed on almost all the radio networks in the Kumasi Metropolis.Source: Daily Guidelast_img read more

Addo joins Roda JC on loan

first_imgGhana defender Eric Addo has been granted his wish as his Dutch club PSV Eindhoven have sent him out on loan to rivals Roda JC Kerkrade.According to ANP, relegation candidates Roda JC have signed the defender on a six-month loan deal.Addo asked PSV officials to send him out on loan to enhnace his chances of playing for the Ghana national team as he struggled to get first team place at the club.He will join his new club on January 19, the day after PSV and Roda meet in the Eredivisie.The 30-year-old centre back joined PSV from Belgian outfit Club Brugge in 1999, but failed to secure regular first team football in Eindhoven.Addo has made 82 league appearances for PSV so far, scoring three goals. The experienced defender was already shipped out on loan to Roda once before.Addo made 27 league appearances for the club in 2003.Addo is the third new signing in one week for the Kerkrade outfit.They signed Belgian midfielder Laurent Delorge from Ajax and Cameroonian youngster Arnaud Sutchuin from Anderlecht in the past few days.Source: Ghanasoccernetlast_img read more

Opare aims for Real breakthrough

first_imgGhana defender Daniel Opare believes he can thrive at Real Madrid despite the return of the era of the Galacticos at the Santiago Bernabau.The 18-year old joined Real after captaining Ghana to the semifinals of the 2007 U-17 World Cup but has been mostly with the junior teams as injuries took their toll.Now he is heading back in the hope that he can force his way into the side for the upcoming campaign.“It is true Real are buying big names like Cristiano Ronaldo but they have not strengthened at right back which is where I play,” he said.“Sergio Ramos is a fine player but I believe in the coming season I can be a good back up for that position. I am very confident that I can make the breakthrough at Madrid.”Opare’s pace down the right flank and ability to combine both defensive and attacking duties have marked him down as a future great but there are many in Ghana who feel he is wasting his time at Madrid. In the period that Opare chased his Madrid dream he has lost his place in the national U-20 team to Samuel Inkoom who has gone on to become John Paintsil’s understudy.Yet Opare remains convinced he can buck the Galactico trend and give Madrid real value next season.Source: Kickoff.comlast_img read more

Lions beat Hearts to win Top-4 title

first_imgHeart of Lions have clinched the Top-4 title even ahead of the final day matches after beating Hearts of Oak 3-2 at the Ohene Djan Stadium in Accra.With the result of the other game in Kumasi ending goalless, Lions with a maximum of 13 points to their credit from five games clinch the off-season competition as they are five points clear of King Faisal, their opponents for Sunday.And certainly, Sunday would be their coronation moment when they play in Kumasi.Kofi Nti Boakye gave Lions the lead after ghosting past Karim Alhassan to lob goalkeeper Laud Quartey in the first half.But Hearts lifted themselves from that setback after a promising start to draw level before the break when Karim Alhassan nodded in a corner kick.The Phobians returned from the break determined to jump into the lead but a cross into the box by Tanko Mohammed, who picked up the best player award was turned into goal by Karim Alhassan. Lions roared into a two-goal advantage when Tanko Mohammed was put through by a Daniel Acquaye pass to slot in.The leaders started thrilling the crowd as they drew rings around the Phobians in the last eight minutes of the game. Lions were in no hurry to find goal as they continued to dictate the pace of the game.Hearts though chasing the ball for longer period came in strongly and pulled a goal back through Tetteh Nortey, though it served as a consolation.Asante Kotoko after four successive defeats recorded their best result yet in the four-team competition drawing 0-0 with King Faisal at the Baba Yara Stadium.The Porcupine Warriors have thus picked up a point though they would finish bottom of the table even after the final day matches. Kotoko, though with no chance of landing the title will travel Accra to play bitter rivals, Hearts of Oak.Source: ghanafa.orglast_img read more

Lionel Messi wins Fifa World Player of the Year award

first_imgBarcelona star Lionel Messi has been named Fifa World Footballer of the Year to complete a stunning 2009 for the Argentine forward.The 22-year-old, who helped Barca win the Club World Cup on Saturday – their sixth trophy of the year – also won the Ballon d’Or award this year.“A magnificent year for me and Barca has ended in the best way,” said Messi.He beat off competition from last year’s winner Cristiano Ronaldo, Xavi, Kaka and Andres Iniesta.In a vote by captains and head coaches of the men’s and women’s national teams, Messi won 1,073 votes, Ronaldo 352, Xavi 196, Kaka 190 and Iniesta 134.Messi becomes the first Argentine to win the award, which was inaugurated in 1991, and it completes a stunning year for the brilliant winger. He helped Barca to an unprecedented treble of Champions League, La Liga and Spanish Cup last season, scoring the second goal in their 2-0 win over Manchester United in Rome in May.This season the Catalan club have added the Spanish Super Cup, European Super Cup and Club World Cup to their roll of honour, beating Argentine side Estudiantes in Abu Dhabi to complete a stellar year.At the start of the month, Messi beat Ronaldo to the European Footballer of the Year award by a massive margin – 473 points to 233 – and has now succeeded Ronaldo to win the Fifa award too.However, Messi has played down the attention, saying: “No, please, I am not king of the world now, nor the number one, I don’t believe in those things.“I am the same person as always and I have the good fortune to play in a great team. It was an historic year for Barca and for me but it’s thanks to the work of everyone.” At a glittering gala at the Zurich Kongresshaus, England stars John Terry and Steven Gerrard were named in the FIFPro World XI, voted for by their fellow professionals.Fellow Premier League stars Patrice Evra, Nemanja Vidic and Fernando Torres were also picked, along with former Manchester United star Ronaldo.Real Madrid’s Iker Casillas was picked in goal and Barca quartet Dani Alves, Xavi, Iniesta and Messi completed the line-up.Cristiano Ronaldo won the inaugural Fifa Puskas Award for the best goal of the year for his stunning 40-yard strike while playing for Manchester United against FC Porto in the quarter-finals of the Champions League in April.Brazilian Marta won the Women’s World Player of the Year for a record fourth consecutive time, beating off competition from England striker Kelly Smith. The 31-year-old Smith, who plays her club football in the United States, starred in the England side that reached the final of Euro 2009.“This is a real honour for me,” said Smith. “It was tough for me to leave my home country because I’m very proud and passionate to be English.“I just wanted to be amongst the best players in the world and that’s certainly the case and I’m now pursuing my dream.”Source: BBClast_img read more

PLB alters League calendar

first_imgThe Premier League Board has rescheduled the 27th Glo Premier League fixtures for Wednesday 14 April instead of the original Sunday, 18 April.The amended calender will have three league matches being played in a week, with the 26th and 28th ties scheduled for 11 April and 18 April.The changes are in accordance with the PLB’s plans of ending this year’s Glo Premier League on 2 May.Source: Ghanasoccernet.comlast_img

Kofi Manu eyes Aduana CEO position

first_imgJoy Sports sources indicate that reigning Glo Premier League champions Aduana Stars, are considering an option of appointing management member Kofi Manu as new Chief Executive of the club.Aduana are on top of the league table after two matches but are without a Chief Executive Officer.The Dormaa based club must now decide handing the job to either Kofi Manu or former CEO of Asante Kotoko Major RTD Yaw Larsson.Management member of Aduana Stars Kofi Manu expects to take up the job if considered.“I am a citizen of Dormaa Ahenkro. I have been working assiduously to make sure that Aduana achieves something,” he saidHe added if the board makes an offer for him to head the team it will be difficult to turn down the offer. Source: Joy Sportslast_img read more

Fifa calls for evidence following Triesman allegations

first_imgFifa has written to the Football Association asking for a full report on allegations of corruption within world football’s governing body.Former Football Association chairman Lord Triesman claimed four Fifa members sought “bribes” in return for backing England’s failed 2018 World Cup bid.Fifa said there was “extreme concern” at the latest allegations.Fifa has also asked for evidence from the Sunday Times after it made claims of bribery in the 2022 voting process.A statement from Fifa said: “The Fifa secretary general [Jerome Valcke] has also sent a letter to The Sunday Times to ask the newspaper to provide Fifa with any piece of evidence with regard to the statements made to MP John Whittingdale.”The MP for Maldon, Essex, is the chairman of the House of Commons culture, media and sport select committee, where Triesman made his claims on Tuesday during a hearing about the country’s failure to secure the right to host the 2018 World Cup finals. Triesman, a former chairman of England’s 2018 bid, accused members of Fifa’s executive committee of “improper and unethical behaviour” during the campaign process.e alleged Fifa vice-president Jack Warner, Paraguayan Nicolas Leoz, Brazilian Ricardo Teixeira and Thai Worawi Makudi sought “bribes” in return for backing England’s World Cup 2018 campaign.Another member of parliament’s select committee, Conservative MP Damian Collins, said evidence submitted by the Sunday Times claimed two more Fifa executive committee members – vice-president Issa Hayatou, from Cameroon, and Jacques Anouma, from the Ivory Coast – were paid nearly £1m to vote for Qatar’s successful 2022 World Cup bid.Fifa president Sepp Blatter, who is seeking re-election this year, said his organisation must react “very fast” to answer the latest round of allegations ahead its Congress in three weeks.“We have to deal with this matter before the Congress and not just kick it out of the minds of Fifa and [say] ‘we will deal with it afterwards’,” he told Al-Jazeera. “We have to do it now, immediately, and we have three weeks. We must accelerate the movement, whether it is for the good or for the bad.”Sports Minister Robertson urged Fifa to open up its bidding process and conduct similar internal reforms implemented by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) following the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics campaign scandal.“The first thing is the allegations are brought to the attentions of Fifa and make sure that happens in concert with the FA,” he said.“We have to back that up with evidence and I would hope Fifa follow the example of the International Olympic Committee, who went through a similar process after Salt Lake City.“There is nobody currently bidding for the 2018 Winter Olympics who doesn’t believe their system is fair and transparent – Fifa needs to be in the same position.” However, in a subsequent interview with the Press Association, Robertson advised against canvassing support to re-stage the 2018 vote process.England were knocked out in the first round with only two votes when Russia were awarded the tournament, while Qatar were named 2022 hosts.“There is no practical chance of the process being re-run – that would be a huge admission of failure by Fifa,” added Robertson.“I think we have to be honest as a country that Lord Triesman made these allegations in Parliament but they are going to be very difficult to actually prove because these were just conversations he had with individuals.”Concacaf president Warner said he “laughed like hell” when he first learned of Triesman’s allegations that he had asked for around £2.5m to build an education centre in Trinidad. “I hold my head tall because I can stand up and tell the world I never accepted anything,” he told Trinidad publication Newsday. “People who know me would be totally dismissive of that nonsense.”Valcke has insisted that the voting process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups was conducted cleanly.Australia, beaten by Qatar in the 2022 voting, has already played down suggestions it could ask for a re-vote.“Ultimately, this is a question that needs to be directed to Fifa, the governing body,” said Prime Minister Julia Gillard.“We were very disappointed. We put in a bid which was impressive and we pursued that bid in an ethical and impressive way.” Meanwhile, Jacques Rogge, president of the International Olympic Committee, said sports leaders must fight against corruption to prevent the type of scandal shaking Fifa.Rogge said there was “always the threat” of unethical behaviour in sports management but stressed that claims made by Triesman and others on Tuesday must be backed “by solid proof”.Source: BBClast_img read more

Terry to face prosecution

first_imgEngland and Chelsea captain John Terry will be charged with racially abusing Queens Park Rangers defender Anton Ferdinand, the Crown Prosecution Service confirmed on Wednesday.Terry, who has denied the allegations against him stemming from an incident during Chelsea’s Premier League match at Loftus Road in October, will appear at West London Magistrates’ Court on February 1.Alison Saunders, Chief Crown Prosecutor for London said: “I have today advised the Metropolitan Police Service that John Terry should be prosecuted for a racially aggravated public order offence following comments allegedly made … on 23 October 2011.“The decision was taken in accordance with the Code for Crown Prosecutors and after careful consideration of all the evidence I am satisfied there is sufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction and it is in the public interest to prosecute this case.“He is now summonsed with a criminal offence and has the right to a fair trial”Immediately after the original allegations were made, Terry denied making any racist comments and reiterated that view following the CPS’s announcement. “I am disappointed with the decision to charge me and hope to be given the chance to clear my name as quickly as possible,” said Terry in a statement. “I have never aimed a racist remark at anyone and count people from all races and creeds among my closest friends.’“I will fight tooth and nail to prove my innocence. I have campaigned against racism and believe there is no place for it in society.”A club statement read: “Chelsea Football Club today received notification that the Crown Prosecution Service has charged John Terry with a racially aggravated public order offence.“John has made it clear he denies the charge and is determined to do all he can to prove his innocence. Chelsea FC has always been fully supportive of John in this matter and will continue to be so.“The club finds all forms of discrimination abhorrent and we are proud of the work we undertake campaigning on this important issue. Chelsea will not be commenting further on the subject while the legal process runs its course.” Just hours prior to Wednesday’s ruling, Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas vowed that he and the club would give Terry their full backing.“The only thing I know is that I will be fully supportive of John Terry, whatever the outcome,” Villas-Boas said. “He has my full support, he has the club’s full support. We know exactly his human values and personality. They are never in doubt.”The CPS decision comes barely 24 hours before Chelsea’s Premier League game at Tottenham, the start of a run of four games in 11 days, but Villas-Boas confirmed Terry would start at White Hart Lane on Thursday night.A statement from the FA read: “Further to the announcement by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) today [21 December] regarding the allegation against John Terry following the Queens Park Rangers v Chelsea fixture on Sunday 23 October 2011, The Football Association will not be making any comment at this time.”On Tuesday, Liverpool striker Luis Suarez was handed an eight-match ban for racially abusing Manchester United’s Patrice Evra during a Premier League match at Anfield on October 15. The Uruguay international, who is expected to appeal against the Football Association’s decision, was also fined £40,000last_img read more

Boxing: Agbeko fight finally called off

first_imgFormer IBF bantamweight champion Joseph Agbeko’s fight against Filipino Michael Domingo has finally been called off by the managers of the King Kong.This comes as a result of alleged disagreements between the boxer and the promoters over the organisation of the May 26 fight which was scheduled for the El-Wak Stadium which has compelled GoldenMike to call it off despite having spent almost $25,000 on advance purse payments, airfares for judges and boxers travelling from Europe and beyond to Accra.The two-time International Boxing Federation (IBF) bantamweight champion was seeking to rehabilitate at home following his double loss to Mexican Abner Mares within the space of five months in 2011 when the two fought for the IBF belt.The May 26 bout would have been the first world title fight in Ghana since the legendary Azumah Nelson fought and stopped Brazilian Sidnei Dal Rovere in three rounds on December 10, 1988 at the Accra Stadium.The package would have seen some entertainers, including the famous 4×4 group, adding a showbiz side to the show but has all been cancelledlast_img read more