Santa Monica firefighters assist in Sand Fire battle

first_imgHomeNewsSanta Monica firefighters assist in Sand Fire battle Jul. 27, 2016 at 6:52 amNewsSanta Monica firefighters assist in Sand Fire battleJeff Goodman5 years agoangeles national forestBeverly HillsCal FireCulver Citydale hallockfirefightersfrank evaromutual aidnational weather servicesand fireSanta Monicasanta monica californiasanta monica daily presssanta monica firesmfdsouthern california edisonTwilight Concert Series The call came in late Friday night: The Santa Monica Fire Department’s help was needed as a blaze began scorching brush in the Angeles National Forest.Local firefighters headed out early Saturday morning to a mountainous area north of Los Angeles to assist in the fight against the Sand Fire, which officials said had spread to more than 37,000 acres and which was just 25-percent contained as of Tuesday morning.SMFD spokesman Dale Hallock said eight local firefighters participated in the effort to control what became massive brushfire, which spewed ash into Santa Monica and throughout the Westside over the weekend.Members of the local department were among more than 3,000 firefighters involved in the operation, which has drawn resources from across the state to the Magic Mountain Wilderness Area of the forest. SMFD crews returned home Monday night after working in the areas of Kagel Canyon, Bear Divide, Soledad Canyon and Acton.Two Santa Monica engines were among the resources being used as crews battle the Sand Fire, Hallock said. At one point, there were more than 350 total engines at the scene as well as 58 hand crews, 26 helicopters, 20 bulldozers and 18 water tenders, according to press releases issued by incident command officials.Local firefighters work with the Beverly Hills and Culver City fire departments to coordinate responses to blazes outside their usual coverage areas. The collaborative strike team included five engines and a battalion chief, and a rotation schedule determines which of the three departments will send the battalion chief to a given incident, SMFD’s Frank Evaro said.It’s all part of a statewide mutual-aid system through which local agencies provide help beyond their coverage areas when extra resources are required.“Some people might think, ‘Why does Santa Monica have to respond to something that’s 50 miles away?’” Hallock said. “There’s a really important state system in place, both in law enforcement and firefighting, and it goes both ways. Occasionally we have a large fire, and the City of L.A. or County of L.A. will help us. At the Twilight Concert Series, there are agencies from all over the area. So it goes both ways.”High temperatures, low humidity and strong winds were making it difficult for firefighters to contain the blaze over the weekend, officials said. Onshore winds gusting up to 30 mph heightened fire concerns in the area Monday, according to the National Weather Service.At least 18 homes had been destroyed and one had been damaged as of Monday afternoon, fire officials said, and evacuation orders were in place in several communities affected by the blaze. Several evacuation centers had been established over the weekend and road closures were in effect in the region.“Firefighters expect to continue to make good progress,” officials said in a news release Monday. “Expect to see more aircraft assisting with helping to slow the fire progression and allow firefighters on the ground to safely engage and increase containment.”Representatives from the U.S. Forest Service, county fire personnel and county sheriff’s officials were organizing response efforts, according to the release. Assisting agencies included SMFD as well as the Los Angeles Fire Department, the state Office of Emergency Services, Cal Fire, California Highway Patrol, the county public works and animal control departments, the L.A. Department of Water and Power and Southern California Edison.For more information about the Sand Fire, visit http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/[email protected] :angeles national forestBeverly HillsCal FireCulver Citydale hallockfirefightersfrank evaromutual aidnational weather servicesand fireSanta Monicasanta monica californiasanta monica daily presssanta monica firesmfdsouthern california edisonTwilight Concert Seriesshare on Facebookshare on Twitteradd a commentHow a Santa Monica High grad fulfilled her Olympic dreamLetter: TPP or the White House — you can’t have bothYou Might Also LikeFeaturedNewsBobadilla rejects Santa Monica City Manager positionMatthew Hall12 hours agoNewsCouncil picks new City ManagerBrennon Dixson23 hours agoFeaturedNewsProtesting parents and Snapchat remain in disagreement over child protection policiesClara Harter23 hours agoFeaturedNewsDowntown grocery to become mixed use developmenteditor23 hours agoNewsBruised but unbowed, meme stock investors are back for moreAssociated Press23 hours agoNewsWedding boom is on in the US as vendors scramble to keep upAssociated Press23 hours agolast_img read more

Ingenu confirms CEO departure

first_img Low-power wide-area (LPWA) player Ingenu confirmed reports CEO John Horn (pictured) has left the company.A member of senior management today told Mobile World Live an earlier FierceWireless report on Horn’s departure was accurate. No official announcement is expected from Ingenu at this time and no further details were forthcoming from the company.John Horn was an outspoken and charismatic leader of Ingenu who until recently had talked up the company’s potential to battle with cellular-based LPWA standards. In September 2016 Mobile World Live cited Horn as stating the technology battles taking place in the fast-growing low power IoT market will see just two major winners: his own RPMA technology and a favoured tech choice of many cellular players, NB-IoT.Despite such bold statements, Ingenu has been quiet of late, with momentum in the LPWA space being firmly grabbed by cellular tech standards NB-IoT and LTE-M, as well as proprietary offerings from the likes of Sigfox and LoRa.Horn had been at the helm of Ingenu since June 2015. Prior to Ingenu he was president of M2M vendor RacoWireless. Author Home Ingenu confirms CEO departure AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to MoreAddThisMore 06 JUL 2017 Former Ingenu chief resurfaces at CoreKinect GSMA hails rapid LPWA network uptake Sigfox chief brands data as digital nuclear weapon Justin Springham IngenuLPWARPMA Justin manages the editorial content for the Mobile World Live portal and award-winning Mobile World Live TV service. In the last few years Justin has launched and grown a portfolio of premier media products, which include the Mobile World Congress… Read more Related Tags Previous ArticleAmazon, Dish discuss joint mobile entranceNext ArticleInterview: MediaTek last_img read more