RelatedImplementation of Pension Reform to Begin this Fiscal Year RelatedImplementation of Pension Reform to Begin this Fiscal Year Advertisements FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail Finance and Planning Minister, Dr. the Hon. Peter Phillips says the implementation of pension reform will have to begin this fiscal year. Dr. Phillips, who was speaking to JIS News in an interview on September 14, said the reform, which is an essential element of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) agreement, now under consideration, will likely begin early in the first quarter of 2013. The Finance Minister said that the Parliamentary Committee that has been dealing with pension reform had its final meeting last week and is currently preparing a report to be considered by Parliament. Addressing the issue of cutting the public sector wage bill, Dr. Phillips acknowledged that this is also key. He noted that the workers have industrial bargaining agreements with the government and that out of respect, there needs to be further dialogue. “There is a body of opinion that seems to think, and fortunately it is not as widespread, that unless you have riots or unless you cause pain to the most vulnerable and powerless in a callous way, then you are not serious enough. We are prepared to talk with the workers; they are already having it hard making ends meet. Somebody can say throw them out on the unemployment pile. That is not our view…. We believe that respect is due,” the Minister said. “If needs be and there is need for further measures, other than wage restraint or if that doesn’t work, then the trade off is simple, either you have employment or you have wage restraint,” the Finance Minister said. Dr. Phillips emphasised that Government funds are limited, so wage restraint is necessary. RelatedImplementation of Pension Reform to Begin this Fiscal Year Implementation of Pension Reform to Begin this Fiscal Year Finance & Public ServiceSeptember 15, 2012
Jason Redmond/AFP/Getty Images(TACOMA, Wash.) — A man armed with a rifle, flares and “incendiary devices” at an U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) detention center in Washington state was fatally shot by police early Saturday, authorities said.The unidentified man was allegedly throwing lit objects at buildings at Tacoma’s North West Detention Center on Saturday when he was shot following a confrontation with responding officers, Tacoma Police Department officials said in a statement released on Saturday.A worker first reported that a man outside the facility was armed with a rifle around 4 a.m., Tacoma police said.“It was reported the male was throwing incendiary devices at the Detention Center and then at vehicles in the parking lot,” the statement said. “A vehicle was set on fire. The male attempted to ignite a large propane tank and set out buildings on fire. The male continued throwing lit objects at the buildings and cars.”Upon arriving on the scene and locating the man, “officers called out shots were fired,” according to the Tacoma Police statement. “Officers noted that in addition to the weapon, he was wearing a satchel and had flares on his person.”Police did not immediately identify the deceased man, citing an ongoing investigation.None of the police officers involved in the incident were injured. They were not identified by name but police officials said that the four male officers involved were placed on paid leave per department policy after an officer-involved shooting.The officers involved include: a 45-year-old who has been with the Tacoma Police Department for 20 years, a 27-year old with four years on the force, a 28-year old with one year as a Tacoma police officer, and a 24-year old with nine months on the force.Agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) from the Seattle field office also responded to the scene, according to officials.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
The World Health Organization (WHO) today detailed eight more MERS-CoV cases in Oman, some of which—including two fatalities—are part of a second illness cluster, and others apparently part of an earlier cluster.Meanwhile, over the weekend and through today, Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Health (MOH) reported four more MERS-CoV (Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus) cases, mostly from Riyadh.Two health workers among latest Oman patientsLast month, Oman reported a cluster of five MERS-CoV patients in Al Batinah North governorate, all of them women from the same family.Today’s WHO update notes four more cases from Al Batinah North, and all are in women ages 30 to 77 who had secondary exposure, meaning they likely contracted the virus from another patient. One is a healthcare worker with an asymptomatic infection, and two of the other women are likewise asymptomatic. The fourth is hospitalized.The new cluster includes four men ages 30 to 68 from Ash Sharqiyah South governorate, which is in northeastern Oman, and three are considered secondary cases, though one also had exposure to camels. The source isn’t known for the fourth patient. The 30-year-old man is a healthcare worker.All four of the men have or had symptoms, with onsets ranging from Jan 27 to Feb 10. Two died from their infections.Whole-genome sequencing is under way to better clarify transmission patterns, and the agriculture ministry is investigating dromedary camel farms of one of the patients, and test results are pending. Also, the health ministry has stepped up infection prevention and control measures in emergency departments, particularly in triage areas.The WHO warned that infection prevention and control measures are critical for preventing the spread of MERS-CoV in healthcare settings, especially because the early phase of symptoms consists of nonspecific symptoms. The agency recommends standard precautions for all patients, droplet precautions for those with acute infection, contact precautions and eye protection in those with probable and confirmed cases, and airborne precautions when performing aerosol-generating procedures.As of Feb 21, health officials have identified and screened 69 contacts of the Al Batinah North patients and 57 contacts of the South Sharqiyah patients.The new illnesses boost the number of MERS-CoV cases in Oman this year to 13. Since its first case in 2013, the country has reported 24 cases, 7 of them fatal. Globally, the WHO has received reports of 2,357 MERS-CoV infections since 2012, 820 of them fatal. The vast majority are from Saudi Arabia.Saudi Arabia reports 4 more casesSaudi Arabian MOH, meanwhile, reported four new MERS-CoV cases, three of them in Riyadh, according to epidemiologic updates.Two of the Riyadh patients are women ages 39 and 55 who are listed as secondary MERS cases, suggesting possible household or healthcare exposure, according to the ministry’s epidemiologic week 10 report. Neither woman reported recent camel contact.The third patient from Riyadh is a 62-year-old man who had contact with camels and is listed as a primary case, the MOH said in an update to its epidemiologic week 9 report. He is currently hospitalized.The fourth new case involves a 61-year-old man from Al Duwadimi in central Saudi Arabia about 120 miles west of Riyadh who is listed as a secondary case-patient, meaning he was likely exposed by a sick person. The MOH noted his case today in its epi week 10 update.The latest infections push Saudi Arabia’s MERS-CoV total so far this year to 87, which includes 51 from Wadi ad-Dawasir, where a large hospital outbreak was recently reported, along with some illnesses linked to camel exposure.See also:Mar 4 WHO statementMar 3-4 Saudi MOH epidemiologic week 10 reportMar 2 Saudi MOH epidemiologic week 9 report